Magdeburg – CITY OF NEW CONSTRUCTION WILL
During the Weimar Republic, the current state capital Magdeburg reoriented itself to the call of modernism earlier and more consistently than other cities, attracting attention throughout Germany. Under the direction of Mayor Hermann Beims, Magdeburg underwent a real reformation from 1919 to 1931 through innovations in many areas, allowing modernism to develop across many aspects and themes. The spirit of modernism in Magdeburg in the 1920s was also clearly expressed in the stylistic idiom of its architecture. Many buildings from this period have survived and constitute a significant architectural heritage of modernism – above all, the city hall area on the Rotehorn island in the Elbe and the Hermann Beims housing complex are among the most significant examples of the many worker’s housing estates in Magdeburg.
Built between 1926 and 1929, the settlement is the most famous settlement of social housing in the 1920s in Magdeburg. The landmarked residential complex is an urban planning and architectural example of its time of origin.
GARDEN CITY COLONY REFORM
In 1911 the construction began and from 1913 Bruno Taut assumed the planning. The terraced houses were built in a cost-effective design and always new color variants, each with its own garden - light, air and sun were the guiding ideas.
The cooperative housing estate was built between 1904 and 1916. At the beginning of the 1920s, parts of the façade under the direction of Bruno Taut were provided with brightly colored to "screaming colorful" paintings. Carl Krayl was entrusted with the implementation. Particularly spectacular: the "lightning façade" of the house No. 2.
The town hall was built in 1927 according to the plans of the architects Johannes Göderitz and Wilhelm Deffke on the occasion of the German Theater Exhibition. At the time, it was the most progressive city hall in Germany. The building is complemented by the 60 meter high Albinmüller tower and the horse gate.
The ship lift mechanism Rothensee is the second oldest of only four still operating in Hebewerken in Germany. The outstanding engineering structure and important testimony of the waterway construction was built in 1934-38 as a conclusion of the continued since 1926 by Hannover Mittellandkanals.