Instead, the painting became an entire series, the “Halle Cycle”. Feininger was inspired by the medieval city, enjoying a panoramic view from his studio in the tower of the Moritzburg Museum. “Everything here is colorful, lively, exciting”, he wrote to his wife. In 1931, Feininger delivered the works, but they were defamed as “degenerate art” in 1933 and lost to the museum, which was ultimately only able to recover three of them. The paintings are on display in the permanent exhibition of the Moritzburg Art Museum.